Thursday, January 7, 2010

Confessions of a non-foodie

I love food…..

BUT

to say that I am a picky eater is probably a major understatement, especially when it comes to vegetables. My list of veggies that I like and prepare is limited..

corn

green beans

potatoes

sweet potatoes

butter beans

cabbage (usually only cook it about twice a year)

& lettuce.

Yes sadly that is about it. Every now & then hubs can talk me into some frozen broccoli, zucchini, canned asparagus or black eyed peas or carrots in a roast. So part of my resolve for health this year is finding vegetables that I like and are easy to prepare.

I have found my first one!

Acorn Squash!! picture via Food Network

I compared tons of recipes then ventured off on my own. Here’s what I did….

Preheat oven 375 degrees.

Cut the acorn squash in half & scoop out seeds.

Rub the inside of each half with 1/2 TBSP butter and sprinkle lightly with salt & then a little heavier with light brown sugar.

Place in a small casserole dish (to keep them from tipping over and spilling out the butter)

Cook for 45 minutes.

Turn oven up to 400 degrees and cook another 15 min.

Yummy!

Acorn Squash has a very mild flavor (great for picky eaters).

So what are some of your favorite easy to prepare veggies for picky eaters?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm proud of you......We're starving over here! Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a freebie for you
    https://secured.canvaspeople.com/freegift

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!